Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Accountants
Reload this Page >

cima accountant looking to move to BC canada

cima accountant looking to move to BC canada

Old Nov 16th 2015, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

louise28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default cima accountant looking to move to BC canada

Hi,

Me and my husband are looking to move to BC , I've heard a lot of stories from a few years back that it is very difficult for outsiders to get work in accounting once moving over. How true is this ?

Any advice from any expats on getting work once you are there?

Thanks

Louise
Old Nov 17th 2015, 12:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: cima accountant looking to move to BC canada

Originally Posted by louise28
Hi,

Me and my husband are looking to move to BC , I've heard a lot of stories from a few years back that it is very difficult for outsiders to get work in accounting once moving over. How true is this ?

Thanks

Louise
Hi, and welcome to BE.

Do you already have Permanent Residency, or are you citizens? Or will you require an employer to sponsor you? That will make a difference as to your chances.

CIMA isn't recognised in Canada I believe, so you'll need to get your CMA, a quick forum search will give you more info.

You might also want to post in the main Canada forums, we've got a few accountants there that will be able to give you advice. Do mention which province you're hoping to move to.

Best of luck.
Old Dec 11th 2015, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

PratikKothari is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Louise28

I am considering the same . I am CIMA qualified from my research so far I can say that we can get CMA qualification one we moved to Canada, as CMA and CIMA have mutual recognition agreement. If you need further info on this message me I have contacted some provincial CMA office to obtain more information.

I can say that it is advisable to get CMA qualification as Canadian employers have bias toward Canadian qualification.

However I am struggling to get some good inputs on the local job scene etc.

Last edited by PratikKothari; Dec 11th 2015 at 3:49 pm. Reason: Added content
Old Nov 19th 2016, 12:28 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louise28
Hi,

Thanks

Louise
It is not true these days. The employment situation is pretty good in BC at the moment. Having a Canadian qualification (or designation as they say here) is important for jobs at the level you are no doubt used to.

The profession in Canada has unified as Chartered Professional Accountants. CPA Canada is negotiating new mutual recognition agreements with foreign accounting associations which will replace existing agreements with the legacy accounting bodies. Make the most of the existing mutual recognition agreement between CIMA and CMA if you can.

Job hunting is a little different to the UK. Classified adverts and recruitment agencies are part of your job search, but you generally have to be more proactive in targeting potential employers and, most importantly, building a network of business and professional contacts. Go to the wiki and look at job hunting in the Canada section.