British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Accountants (https://britishexpats.com/forum/accountants-87/)
-   -   cima accountant looking to move to BC canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/accountants-87/cima-accountant-looking-move-bc-canada-868058/)

louise28 Nov 16th 2015 7:00 pm

cima accountant looking to move to BC canada

Hi,

Me and my husband are looking to move to BC , I've heard a lot of stories from a few years back that it is very difficult for outsiders to get work in accounting once moving over. How true is this ?

Any advice from any expats on getting work once you are there?

Thanks

Louise

christmasoompa Nov 17th 2015 12:08 pm

Re: cima accountant looking to move to BC canada

Originally Posted by louise28 (Post 11795553)
Hi,

Me and my husband are looking to move to BC , I've heard a lot of stories from a few years back that it is very difficult for outsiders to get work in accounting once moving over. How true is this ?

Thanks

Louise

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Do you already have Permanent Residency, or are you citizens? Or will you require an employer to sponsor you? That will make a difference as to your chances.

CIMA isn't recognised in Canada I believe, so you'll need to get your CMA, a quick forum search will give you more info.

You might also want to post in the main Canada forums, we've got a few accountants there that will be able to give you advice. Do mention which province you're hoping to move to.

Best of luck.

PratikKothari Dec 11th 2015 3:48 pm

Hi Louise28

I am considering the same . I am CIMA qualified from my research so far I can say that we can get CMA qualification one we moved to Canada, as CMA and CIMA have mutual recognition agreement. If you need further info on this message me I have contacted some provincial CMA office to obtain more information.

I can say that it is advisable to get CMA qualification as Canadian employers have bias toward Canadian qualification.

However I am struggling to get some good inputs on the local job scene etc.

JonboyE Nov 19th 2016 12:28 am

Originally Posted by louise28 (Post 11795553)
Hi,

Thanks

Louise

It is not true these days. The employment situation is pretty good in BC at the moment. Having a Canadian qualification (or designation as they say here) is important for jobs at the level you are no doubt used to.

The profession in Canada has unified as Chartered Professional Accountants. CPA Canada is negotiating new mutual recognition agreements with foreign accounting associations which will replace existing agreements with the legacy accounting bodies. Make the most of the existing mutual recognition agreement between CIMA and CMA if you can.

Job hunting is a little different to the UK. Classified adverts and recruitment agencies are part of your job search, but you generally have to be more proactive in targeting potential employers and, most importantly, building a network of business and professional contacts. Go to the wiki and look at job hunting in the Canada section.