Can an ACCA work in USA

Old Jan 28th 2010, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

sadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud of
Default Can an ACCA work in USA

Hi
I have both UK and Australian Citizenship, I am qualified FCCA 19 years experience at senior management level in both Australia and UK.
Do I need further qualifications to work in the USA?

Thanks
N
Old Jan 28th 2010, 10:54 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can an ACCA work in USA

Most USA employers won't know what ACCA is and fewer are likely to care. So you should plan to become a US CPA if serious about a career in the USA.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

sadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud of

Hi Jaj

Thanks for that,
I have trawled this forum, could you help me.
Where can I get the information as to how many exams etc I have to take to become a CPA.
Can I take these exams in the UK
Is ACCA recognised anywhere in the US now or will I have to start from the beginning and re sit exams for a couple of years?

I am currently in the process of starting my MBA in Project Management and Finance, is this worth paying for and committing 2 years to.

Will it be recognised in the US.

Thanks for your help.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 10:57 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sadieb
Hi Jaj

Thanks for that,
I have trawled this forum, could you help me.
Where can I get the information as to how many exams etc I have to take to become a CPA.
http://www.cpa-exam.org/

You have to become a CPA through one of the state boards. There is no national CPA designation. Usually the requirements are:

- Education (each board is different)
- Residence (some boards demand it, others not)
- Examination (CPA Exam, same everywhere)
- Work experience (every board has different requirements).

Can I take these exams in the UK
No.

Is ACCA recognised anywhere in the US now or will I have to start from the beginning and re sit exams for a couple of years?
Best you can probably hope for is for ACCA to be evaluated as equivalent to a 4 year US bachelors degree. Most state boards need a 4 year degree + 1 extra year at bachelors or masters level ("150 hour" requirement).

A few state boards will recognise non-US work experience. You may find it easier if you have worked in public accounting.

I am currently in the process of starting my MBA in Project Management and Finance, is this worth paying for and committing 2 years to.

Will it be recognised in the US.

Thanks for your help.
Probably - and it's never definite - it would help you meet the 150 hour requirement but might not meet the subject content requirements of the different state boards.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks JAJ

Really appreciate the information.