Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Accountants
Reload this Page >

Before we talk any more about Migrating !!!

Before we talk any more about Migrating !!!

Old Oct 5th 2005, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

LiverpoolAcc is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Before we talk any more about Migrating !!!

Dear all

Need some help before we go any further down the potential migrant route to Oz. I need to find out if i am qualified to apply with my family under any of the accountants in demand categories.

i have a degree in accounting and business finance from Manchester University and think i have covered enough topics to qualify but dont know if they are detailed enough but need to get a transcript of courses from the University.

However i couldn't be bothered to do professional study (d'oh) ie Cima but have worked as accountant and financial controller in industry since then for 16 years.

But before we make final decision that we are migrating and tell kids etc i need to know if this is enough to qualify and which body i should be applying for for approval. Can anyone help us!!!
Old Oct 6th 2005, 12:05 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Before we talk any more about Migrating !!!

Originally Posted by LiverpoolAcc
Dear all

Need some help before we go any further down the potential migrant route to Oz. I need to find out if i am qualified to apply with my family under any of the accountants in demand categories.

i have a degree in accounting and business finance from Manchester University and think i have covered enough topics to qualify but dont know if they are detailed enough but need to get a transcript of courses from the University.

However i couldn't be bothered to do professional study (d'oh) ie Cima but have worked as accountant and financial controller in industry since then for 16 years.

But before we make final decision that we are migrating and tell kids etc i need to know if this is enough to qualify and which body i should be applying for for approval. Can anyone help us!!!

Any of the three assessment authorities will consider you (ICAA, CPAA, NIA). Requirements are broadly similar, nobody can tell you which one is going to be better for you specifically.

You will likely need to supply a transcript and syllabus detail. If you don't have enough syllabus coverage you will need to do some bridging study before you can get assessed positively. Or finish off CIMA and get full membership.

Jeremy
Old Oct 6th 2005, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Jeremy
appreciate the response - does anyone know whether the sort of stuff studied as degree material is sufficient to tick the boxes?
Old Oct 7th 2005, 3:03 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Jeremy
appreciate the response - does anyone know whether the sort of stuff studied as degree material is sufficient to tick the boxes?

No-one on an online forum can tell you whether your degree will qualify or not.

You will need to convince the skill assessing people that it covers what it needs to cover.

Are you going to apply for a sponsored visa? You might have other skill assessment options if you can get to the pass mark with a 50 point occupation.

Jeremy
Old Oct 12th 2005, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

what other options do i have? - i think i can get to the pass mark with a 50 point occupation - just!! if i do the bond etc
i know there is the option of the sir visa or state sponsored but we think we would rather go to queensland but that isnt fixed in stone!
what would u suggest?

Martin
Old Oct 15th 2005, 3:08 am
JAJ
Retired

what other options do i have? - i think i can get to the pass mark with a 50 point occupation - just!! if i do the bond etc
i know there is the option of the sir visa or state sponsored but we think we would rather go to queensland but that isnt fixed in stone!
what would u suggest?

Martin
How can you get to the pass mark with only a 50 point occupation? Have you got an Australian relative to sponsor you?

In any case, if 50 points is enough then it may well work to get Vetassess assessed in one of these, eg Internal Auditor.

If SIR is your only visa option, then you'll probably find that Adelaide, South Australia is the most feasible location. SIR has its risks and disadvantages, be aware of them before making up your mind.

You should get professional advice from an agent who understands these issues, as this can be a tricky area.

Ask on the Australia immigration forum.

Jeremy
Old Oct 31st 2005, 12:40 am
Just Joined

cityfaninoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
How can you get to the pass mark with only a 50 point occupation? Have you got an Australian relative to sponsor you?

In any case, if 50 points is enough then it may well work to get Vetassess assessed in one of these, eg Internal Auditor.

If SIR is your only visa option, then you'll probably find that Adelaide, South Australia is the most feasible location. SIR has its risks and disadvantages, be aware of them before making up your mind.

You should get professional advice from an agent who understands these issues, as this can be a tricky area.

Ask on the Australia immigration forum.

Jeremy
Just to sway off the point a little, if your degree is assessed as suitable by the relevant accounting body over here (after looking through your syllabus etc), you will probably also have to do conversion exams over here as well. In other words, you will have to take probably two subjects, usually Australian Tax and Law, to 'convert' your UK degree to an aussie one. Then after that you will probably be able to start studying a professional qualification through ICAA, CPA or NIA.
Old Oct 31st 2005, 10:48 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by cityfaninoz
Just to sway off the point a little, if your degree is assessed as suitable by the relevant accounting body over here (after looking through your syllabus etc), you will probably also have to do conversion exams over here as well. In other words, you will have to take probably two subjects, usually Australian Tax and Law, to 'convert' your UK degree to an aussie one. Then after that you will probably be able to start studying a professional qualification through ICAA, CPA or NIA.

Assuming you've not got a professional qualification to begin with. If you are studying for an Australian qualification, then CA is the best, then CPA, followed by PNA (NIA).

The PNA designation is not as well recognised as CA/CPA but now that NIA have upgraded their requirements (from 1 January 2005) it's likely to become better regarded in future years. The PNA program is linked with an MCom from the University of New England.

ACCA and CIMA qualified people can convert directly to PNA. And CIMA is partially recognised by ICAA (two out of five subjects exempt in the CA Program).

Jeremy