Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Accountants
Reload this Page >

Almost ICAA feeling homesick

Almost ICAA feeling homesick

Old Jan 2nd 2011, 11:44 am
Just Joined

lameduck is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Almost ICAA feeling homesick

Hello

Around about this time of year, I start to feel rather homesick for London.

Quick background, I've been in Australia since 2003. I finished off high-school here, and also did an university degree majoring in accounting. I'm in my third year working as an accountant and am current working towards finishing my ICAA qualification (I believe ICAA is equivalent to ICAEW).

The logistics of moving back to London is not a problem for me, as I'm still a British Citizen and accommodation is readily available.

My concern rather is how much success might I have in securing a job in the UK?
I've worked in Australian tax mostly, and am familiar with both the personal and company tax system here in Oz. However, I am quite clueless as to the workings of UK tax.

At the moment, any move is rather speculative as I will only consider moving once I get my qualification. But I'm doing my research now and would appreciate any advice or feedback from anyone who might be able to provide input as to how sought after, or how redundant my Australian tax knowledge will be in the UK.

Many thanks.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 3:55 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Almost ICAA feeling homesick

Once you become ICAA you should have a fairly straightforward pathway to become an English (or Scottish, or Irish) CA, if you wish.

Are you an Australian citizen as well as British? Would your existing firm transfer you, either now or in a few years?
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

Hi JAJ

I am aware that the conversion towards becoming a British CA would be fairly simple, so I'm not too worried about this. I'm wondering if there is any room for the skills I already have in the UK?

I am not an Australian citizen, only a Permanent Resident. Any move would be on my own, without any firm assistance. My firm only has the one office here.
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 9:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

There is not a big demand for Australian tax knowledge in the UK for obvious reasons. Do you want to stay in tax or are you happy to become more generalist?

If generalist then maybe you could look to expand your area of expertise in Australia with a view to making yourself more immediately marketable when you make the move.

If you want to stay in tax then I think this is doable, you would market yourself as a recently qualified accountant with an aptitude for grappling with matters of taxation and perhaps you can secure a trainee tax accountant position in UK.

Lots of Australian accountants in London have no difficulty making the move, especialy newly qualified ones. I'd start watching the job market now though and pick your time well.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 2:39 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lameduck
Hi JAJ

I am aware that the conversion towards becoming a British CA would be fairly simple, so I'm not too worried about this. I'm wondering if there is any room for the skills I already have in the UK?

I am not an Australian citizen, only a Permanent Resident. Any move would be on my own, without any firm assistance. My firm only has the one office here.
You might find it a little easier if you got a year or two work experience after becoming a CA.

Are you happy to abandon your permanent resident status? This will usually be a consequence of leaving Australia, once a number of years have passed.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 11:06 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies. I would like to get into international tax if possible. I'm willing to take a hit on my pay for a year or so while I'm learning the UK tax system. Will even go the graduate route if necessary. I suppose the question is will I be too overqualified with my CA?
By the way, would you know of any online resources I can look over to give myself some background on UK tax?

In term of PR status, I'll still have family in Australia, so as long as I come back to visit and renew my visa every so often, it should be fine... Maybe I'll even consider becoming an Australian citizen as well.