Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Accountants
Reload this Page >

Accountant in AU, looking to move to UK, want to exchange information

Accountant in AU, looking to move to UK, want to exchange information

Old Sep 12th 2010, 12:16 am
Just Joined

zoe.c.nguyen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Accountant in AU, looking to move to UK, want to exchange information

Hi there,

I'm an nearly qualified accountant in Australia, studying toward CPA, 3+ yrs experience, looking to move to UK with my partner in 2012. By then I will be qualified CPA.

As in this forum, lots of UK experienced accountant want to move to Australia, I would like to exchange information. Hopefully it will help to get a job over there.

First question - How's the job market for accounting in UK ?

Second question - which's area in UK is easier to get a job ?

I would appreciate any feedback.

Any questions for me ? I'm based in Melbourne ATM.
Old Sep 12th 2010, 12:41 am
Just Joined

zoe.c.nguyen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Accountant in AU, looking to move to UK, want to exchange information

There is mutual recognition between CPA & CIMA, CA & ICEW.
But I think CIMA is not really popular in UK.

Does anyone know how to transfer between CIMA and ACCA ?
Old Sep 12th 2010, 7:34 pm
Just Joined

mull2010 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Accountant in AU, looking to move to UK, want to exchange information

PM sent!
Old Sep 12th 2010, 8:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Why PM Mull? Its a forum for sharing information.

Zoe, you will find mutual recognition details on the accountancy body websites. But it isn't essential, UK people will understand that somebody from Australia will have an Australian qualification. I have worked with many, many Australians and other nationals during 15 years in the city and none ever got mutual recognition to the very best of my knowledge.

The job market is certainly not bouyant like it can be at times. I can remember in 2005 there was a young recently qualified accountant fresh off the boat that me and another of the big financial services providers were fighting over! You won't get that at the moment.

There are jobs for accountants all over the country, but obviously more in big cities and most in London.

Good luck.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 8:04 pm
Just Joined

Mr E is on a distinguished road

I certainly wouldn't view CIMA as being less popular in the UK (although I may be biased as I am CIMA qualified!). I think the main factor affecting the demand for the qualification type is personal preference of the employing manager. If you are looking to go into industry I would say CIMA is more popular than ACCA.

With regards to the state of the market things have picked up a bit since the credit crunch but the outlook is still very weak (sorry). Having said that I was talking with a recruiter the other day and she said although the roles are few are far between they are still struggling to find good candidates. The good accountants want to stay put and have the security of a good job and the accountants out of work are not the strongest in terms of skills and experience.

If you have the right skills and experience you should be fine. What area are you looking to move to?

Good Luck
Old Sep 17th 2010, 3:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr E
I certainly wouldn't view CIMA as being less popular in the UK (although I may be biased as I am CIMA qualified!). I think the main factor affecting the demand for the qualification type is personal preference of the employing manager. If you are looking to go into industry I would say CIMA is more popular than ACCA.
I was thinking pretty much the same to be honest, didn't say it because I decided to go for the "you don't need to convert at all" line.

CIMA is very well recognised in the UK. I think that ACCA and CIMA are viewed either in a similar light or CIMA has the edge. (I say this as an ACCA so definitely an unbiased opinion).

Many people won't care either way if the accountant has reasonable post qualification experience under their belt.