ACCA - pls does more effort

Old Dec 18th 2008, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

James.au is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ACCA - pls does more effort

Before I came to OZ, I thought ACCA is an international qualification and it will be recognized by Australian employers even it does not have mutual recognition agreement with Australian CA/CPA. The fact is that the most employers here only recognise their local qualifications, and furthermore they also emphasis Australian experience essential! I am really tired of this, hope ACCA can do more effort to let us have an easy way to get one of the local qualifications.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 11:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

RCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud of
Default Re: ACCA - pls does more effort

Originally Posted by James.au
I am really tired of this, hope ACCA can do more effort to let us have an easy way to get one of the local qualifications.

I'm not sure it is up to ACCA to ensure that its qualifications are an 'easy way' to get local qualifications.

As I understand it - and am happy to be corrected - there is a pathway for ACCA qualifiees to join the CA programme and become members of the ICAA that way.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 8:25 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by RCoight
I'm not sure it is up to ACCA to ensure that its qualifications are an 'easy way' to get local qualifications.

As I understand it - and am happy to be corrected - there is a pathway for ACCA qualifiees to join the CA programme and become members of the ICAA that way.
yeah, there is a pathway to join the CA programme but have to study 5 papers again. I hope there is a mutual recognition agreement with CPA and at least get some exemptions from CA programme. We paid the same effort to get ACCA i.e. degree+5papers, CA,CPA also does the same. Why have to study again and again.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

RCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud of

yeah, there is a pathway to join the CA programme but have to study 5 papers again. I hope there is a mutual recognition agreement with CPA and at least get some exemptions from CA programme. We paid the same effort to get ACCA i.e. degree+5papers, CA,CPA also does the same. Why have to study again and again.
Well there you go. If you want to be a CA or CPA recognised in Australia you only have to do 5 more exams. I had to do 14 in my day to get the same qualification.

The learning point from all of this for other people is to ensure you understand where your qualifications will and will not be recognised.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

Well there you go. If you want to be a CA or CPA recognised in Australia you only have to do 5 more exams. I had to do 14 in my day to get the same qualification.

The learning point from all of this for other people is to ensure you understand where your qualifications will and will not be recognised.
Makes perfect sense - if recruiting in the UK would you recognise a foreign qualification as quickly as you would ACCA/CIMA? If you would, you'd be in the minority because most people (anywhere) just don't understand the relevant strengths and weakenesses of an overseas qualification, but they do know the local qualifications. If you want the Aus qualification, then be prepared to study again for it. Looked at another way, if you've been qualified for a while then they shouldn't be too difficult.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 12:54 am
Just Joined

well.. ICAEW and ICAS member can get the local CA directly, I do not think the local employers understand ICAEW and ICAS more than ACCA, and I do not think ACCA qualification is lower than ICAEW and ICAS, especially for those who have an accounting degree.

ACCA has a mutual recognition agreement with Canadian CGA, do the Canadian employers understand ACCA qualification? I do not think so again, however, ACCA does not need to worry about it, they get CGA, this is the point.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 1:28 am
BE Enthusiast

well.. ICAEW and ICAS member can get the local CA directly, I do not think the local employers understand ICAEW and ICAS more than ACCA, and I do not think ACCA qualification is lower than ICAEW and ICAS, especially for those who have an accounting degree.
I'm not entirely sure I fully understand what you're saying here about 'local employers understand ICAEW and ICAS more than ACCA' but I'm afraid that in the hierarchy of qualifications CA / CPA is higher than ACCA.

Certainly I have come across that viewpoint numerous times while involved in recruitment processes (both for me directly and when I've been recruiting) in the UK and Australia.

ACCA has a mutual recognition agreement with Canadian CGA, do the Canadian employers understand ACCA qualification? I do not think so again, however, ACCA does not need to worry about it, they get CGA, this is the point.
If you could build a case for the ICAA to do the same as a different institute in a different country I'm sure they'd be delighted to read it.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 12:48 am
Just Joined

Bothe Australian CPA and ACCA have mutual recognition agreement with Singapore CPA, it should be able to prove that Australian CPA and ACCA are equivalent qualification.

Now, ACCA member with another 5 years experience will be able to convert into member of ICAEW.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 3:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Bothe Australian CPA and ACCA have mutual recognition agreement with Singapore CPA, it should be able to prove that Australian CPA and ACCA are equivalent qualification.

Now, ACCA member with another 5 years experience will be able to convert into member of ICAEW.
I stand by my comment that ACCA is a lower qualification than chartered.

Though if you can get into the ICAEW from with an ACCA qualification without any further study then this is yet further proof that my own institute is no longer as rigorous as it once was!
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 5:11 am
Just Joined

Though if you can get into the ICAEW from with an ACCA qualification without any further study then this is yet further proof that my own institute is no longer as rigorous as it once was!
ACCA is also engaged in an on-going effort to secure a Mutual Recognition Agreement (MRA) with AICPA in the US. Hence, there is also a possibility that such an agreement exist between ACCA and Australian CA in the future, who knows. ACCA pls does more effort.

For those ACCA members with an accounting degree and plus 3 years work experience in a chartered/mentored environment, i do not see any point that it is lower than a CA, what I can say is Australia prefers its local qualifications which is reasonable.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

But you still wouldn't be able to transfer that to CA/CPA as you didn't gain membership by examination.....
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

For those ACCA members with an accounting degree and plus 3 years work experience in a chartered/mentored environment, i do not see any point that it is lower than a CA,
In my experience most finance recruiters in Australia will disagree with you though I wish you luck in your job-hunt as in the current market with lots of good quality CAs and CPAs around and with your attitude of entitlement you are surely going to need it.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NikiL
But you still wouldn't be able to transfer that to CA/CPA as you didn't gain membership by examination.....
And one good point about this thread is that in future I know to carefully check possible employee's qualifications to examine whether they earned them by recognition or by examination.
Old Jan 1st 2009, 9:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

I bet you qualified a while ago.

Things have moved on a long way in the last 10 years.

Many large employers are shunning young big 4 trained CAs as their training is too narrow, experience too limited and they don't know the fast pace of commercial world.

Qulification of any flavour is one thing - the big issue now is experience, experience and experience.
Old Jan 1st 2009, 10:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Correct, I qualified some years ago.
Actually in any other context I would agree that experience is generally more important; certainly that is how I have recruited (and indeed been recruited) throughout my career.
What I object to is the idea that OP has expressed which is that by having completed one set of exams s/he should automatically be considered as having the status of any other qualification s/he chooses.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.