ACCA/Oxford Brookes Bsc

Old Jun 23rd 2008, 1:10 pm
Just Joined

ash23 will become famous soon enoughash23 will become famous soon enough
Default ACCA/Oxford Brookes Bsc

Hi

Could anyone offer some advice please?

My wife, who is a qualified AAT, is considering studying for part 2 of the ACCA by correspondence/distance learning, being already exempt from all of the part 1 papers.

If she were to successfully pass part 2 and also obtain/be awarded a Bsc (Hons) as approved by the Oxford Brookes Uni, can anyone advise whether she would then be entitled to apply for a positive skills assessment from 1 of the relevant assessing authorities within Australia i.e. NIA & or others, as an Accountant? She is currently employed as a group accountant and has been for a number of years and therefore I believe will have the necessary work experience to prove her duties are that of an accountant.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ash.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 7:07 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ACCA/Oxford Brookes Bsc

Originally Posted by ash23
Hi

Could anyone offer some advice please?

My wife, who is a qualified AAT, is considering studying for part 2 of the ACCA by correspondence/distance learning, being already exempt from all of the part 1 papers.

If she were to successfully pass part 2 and also obtain/be awarded a Bsc (Hons) as approved by the Oxford Brookes Uni, can anyone advise whether she would then be entitled to apply for a positive skills assessment from 1 of the relevant assessing authorities within Australia i.e. NIA & or others, as an Accountant? She is currently employed as a group accountant and has been for a number of years and therefore I believe will have the necessary work experience to prove her duties are that of an accountant.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ash.
To get a positive skills assessment as an accountant, your wife needs to be a full ACCA member, i.e. not just an affiliate. If passing part 2 plus Ox Brookes degree means she can apply for full ACCA membership, then once full membership has been granted she can have the positive skills assessment.

At the moment, there is no work experience requirement for a positive skills assessment with ICAA (just the ACCA membership certificate, letter of good standing, details of exam marks, and CV or brief employment history): http://www.charteredaccountants.com....assessment.pdf
However, for the subsequent visa application she'll need to prove work experience.

Getting the Oxford Brookes BSc is an excellent idea anyway as Oz employers generally expect you to have a degree (as well as the professional accountancy qualification).

Good luck
Gina

Last edited by GinaUK; Jun 24th 2008 at 7:15 am.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 11:35 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GinaUK
To get a positive skills assessment as an accountant, your wife needs to be a full ACCA member, i.e. not just an affiliate. If passing part 2 plus Ox Brookes degree means she can apply for full ACCA membership, then once full membership has been granted she can have the positive skills assessment.
It is possible to get a skill assessment based on a degree in accounting.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

Thanks GinaUk & Jeremy for your responses.

A quickie about relevant work experience at a skilled level. How many years must be proven and does it all have to be post qualifying experience or can experience gained prior to gaining the actual qualification be included, provided of course you could demonstrate it as being at a senior level?

Thanks

Ash.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 1:14 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ash23
Thanks GinaUk & Jeremy for your responses.

A quickie about relevant work experience at a skilled level. How many years must be proven and does it all have to be post qualifying experience or can experience gained prior to gaining the actual qualification be included, provided of course you could demonstrate it as being at a senior level?

Thanks

Ash.
Currently, work experience must be 12 months.

In theory the work experience can be pre-qualification if you can prove it is at the right level. The problem is with how you prove it. Bear in mind that the DIAC people who assess this are not accountants. They are clerks who read off a sheet what an accountant should be doing.

If you want to use pre-qualification experience, I'd suggest you use an agent. We used "Go Matilda" because the owner is an accountant himself and they employ ex-DIAC staff. www.gomatilda.com

Do the skills assessment yourself as it's so straight-forward. Then use the agent for the visa application. Bear in mind that if an off-shore 175 application is refused you have no right of appeal! Hence, if your visa application is a little unusual (i.e. uses pre-qualification experience) it makes sense to use an agent. "Go Matilda" cost us £658 - money well spent.

Gina
Old Jun 25th 2008, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

Thanks once again Gina.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 6:51 am
Just Joined

asadkhalid is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GinaUK

Good luck
Gina
Just to clear it. I had emailed ICAA and NIA about this some time back and confirmed with them again.

Here's an email reply from ICAA:

MY EMAIL:
To: Assessment
Subject: Inquiry about assessment

I've an inquiry about the skills assessment for the migration purposes. I'm an ACCA (Association of Chartered Certified Accountant) affiliate meaning that I have passed the ACCA examinations but have not yet satisfied the practical experience requirement to become a member of the institute. I also have a B.Sc (hons) in Applied accounting degree from Oxford Brookes University, UK, awarded to the students who have cleared two levels of ACCA. I want to ask if I'm suitable for the migration purposes as an accountant? Does ICAA accept ACCA affiliate for migration purposes?

Anticipating a prompt a reply.
--
Regards,
Furqan Shafi
ICAA reply:
Dear Furqan,

ACCA affiliate together with a degree from Oxford Brookes University, UK is accepted by the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia.

I have attached an assessment form below. Please submit the following documents:
A certified copy of your ACCA affiliate certificate
A certified copy of your ACCA examination results
A certified copy of your BSc Hons degree certificate
A certified copy of your BSc Hons academic transcripts
A CV
A certified copy of your photo page in your passport

If you require further information then please do not hesitate in contacting me.

Kind regards
Claire Curnow

I have a similar email from NIA as well.

NIA response:
Dear Asad,

Thank you for your enquiry.

I believe Associate/Affiliate/Passed Finalist status means all the examinations are completed but not yet the practical placement, and that full membership status is on completion of three years acceptable accountancy experience. For NIA assessment, you would need to have completed and passed ALL examinations, in order to have a sufficient qualification. The three years practical training is not a prerequisite.

If you also would like the B.Sc degree considered, then you will need to provide copy of the award certificate, transcript, and subject outlines.

More information about Immigration Assessment procedure and required documentation is available on our website www.nia.org.au - click 'Immigration Assessment'. An application form (and information leaflet) will also be available for downloading.

Regards,

Lynda Trang

Senior Qualifications Assessment Officer
If you want i could forward the emails to you.

Last edited by asadkhalid; Jun 27th 2008 at 7:00 am.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 7:06 am
Just Joined

asadkhalid is an unknown quantity at this point

Regarding the pre-qualification work experience, i had emailed DIAC some time ago as well.

Here's the email reply they gave me:

PRE-GRADUATION WORK EXPERIENCE:

If you have undertaken part-time work experience while completing a course
of study, you may count this towards any General Skilled Migration work
experience requirements as long as you were employed on a paid basis for
at least 20 hours per week at the skilled level. Generally, pre-
graduation work experience would be at the "semi-skilled" rather than the
"skilled" level and therefore not be acceptable.

An exception to this may occur if you have work experience undertaken
during postgraduate or further study and you are already qualified for the
particular occupation due to completion of a previous qualification. In
this case, you may be working at the skilled level for that occupation.

For any further enquiries about the application you have lodged please
refer to our website using the following link http://www.immi.gov.
au/contacts/visa-enquiries/professionals.htm

Yours sincerely,
Department of Immigration and Citizenship
Old Sep 10th 2008, 7:28 am
Just Joined

Zach80 is an unknown quantity at this point

I remember somewhere reading on the forum that an Oxford Brookes Degree is adequate to get a postive assessment. Perhaps somebody who has done this could tell us
Old Oct 13th 2008, 6:03 pm
Just Joined

August Moon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Zach80
I remember somewhere reading on the forum that an Oxford Brookes Degree is adequate to get a postive assessment. Perhaps somebody who has done this could tell us
I awarded Oxford Brookes degree in last August. I applied to NIA for skills assessment in Sept. And I got a positive assessment from NIA today.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 6:43 pm
Just Joined

AimlessYak will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by August Moon
I awarded Oxford Brookes degree in last August. I applied to NIA for skills assessment in Sept. And I got a positive assessment from NIA today.

Congratulations August Moon and thanks for posting.

I’ve been subscribed to this thread for months hoping for confirmation from someone who has had a positive assessment with an Oxford Brookes Degree. And your assessment came through so quickly which is really encouraging.
Old Jul 25th 2009, 3:53 pm
Just Joined

AyubBacchu is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: ACCA/Oxford Brookes Bsc

Originally Posted by JAJ
It is possible to get a skill assessment based on a degree in accounting.
HI
I read the people here saying they got a positive skills assesment from NIA and ICAA (Users asadkhalid, August Moon etc).
I also am an ACCA affiliate (1 more year left to get 3 years experience and become full member) with the BSc from Ox Brookes.

I applied to CPA australia for a skills assesment in Dec 2008 and their tone was that they do not consider the BSc from Ox Brookes as a qualifying degree as its more of a retrospective qualification rather than a campus based regular degree. And they also required an Associate ACCA membership for a positive assesment, not an Affiliate.

Anyone with similar experience?

Reading the comments here I am tempted to try NIA now though!
Old Jul 25th 2009, 4:46 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AyubBacchu
HI
I read the people here saying they got a positive skills assesment from NIA and ICAA (Users asadkhalid, August Moon etc).
I also am an ACCA affiliate (1 more year left to get 3 years experience and become full member) with the BSc from Ox Brookes.

I applied to CPA australia for a skills assesment in Dec 2008 and their tone was that they do not consider the BSc from Ox Brookes as a qualifying degree as its more of a retrospective qualification rather than a campus based regular degree. And they also required an Associate ACCA membership for a positive assesment, not an Affiliate.

Anyone with similar experience?

Reading the comments here I am tempted to try NIA now though!

Just because CPA-A say no doesn't mean NIA will also say no. If you had asked here beforehand, you would have been told that ACCA members/affiliates should usually prefer to be assessed by ICAA or NIA.
Old Jul 27th 2009, 11:37 pm
Just Joined

AyubBacchu is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: ACCA/Oxford Brookes Bsc

Thanks a lot for your reply/advice JAJ. NIA here comes another beancounter!! Hope Australia has acres full of beans in need of counting and I'm looking forward to posting a positive outcome here on this board sometime soon.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 12:19 pm
You will be mine in Hell.

Hellboy663 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by JAJ
Just because CPA-A say no doesn't mean NIA will also say no. If you had asked here beforehand, you would have been told that ACCA members/affiliates should usually prefer to be assessed by ICAA or NIA.
The reason for ACCA members to choose NIA or ICAA was because CPA Oz required the applicant to also have a bachelor's degree along with ACCA whereas the other 2 didn't. I think now however, OZ CPA has done away with the degree requirement and have started recognizing ACCA members at associate status. But that's for full members. Not sure about affiliate though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.