ACCA to CPA Australia

Old Sep 9th 2011, 12:54 pm
Just Joined

kaeel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ACCA to CPA Australia

Hi,

I'm sorry, I know this question has surfaced many times. I also know the steps that one has to go through to convert ACCA to CPA. However, please take some time to hear me out.

I'm currently an ACCA student in Singapore, I've just managed to clear F1,2,3 and 4. Meaning to say, my level 1 is cleared and I've just embarked on level 2. However, I intend to move over to Australia over the next few years as my parents are residing there. I feel like I've made a grave mistake by taking up ACCA now.

Is it possible to cross over to CPA Australia now? Any exemptions for level 1 ACCA?

Or any other routes that can be taken? I feel really disappointed now, and can't think of any ways. I bumped onto this forum by accident, and found really useful replies. I hope someone can shed some light on this issue as well.

Many thanks in advance
Old Sep 9th 2011, 10:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ACCA to CPA Australia

Not sure you can take Australian CPA whilst you are in Singapore? But if it is what you want to do then perhaps the best thing to do is email them and ask and ask about whether you have any exemptions. Getting the information you need straight from the horse's mouth might be better than speculation on an internet forum.

And why is ACCA a grave mistake anyway? I know plenty of ACCA qualified people here in Australia including myself and it has not even raised an eyebrow.

There is a load of rubbish spouted about having to have an Australian qualification. Australia is a country of immigrants and Australians are no so daft that they think people from outside Australia will have an Australian qualification. And plenty of people recruiting won't be Australian either.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 12:15 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
And why is ACCA a grave mistake anyway? I know plenty of ACCA qualified people here in Australia including myself and it has not even raised an eyebrow.

There is a load of rubbish spouted about having to have an Australian qualification. Australia is a country of immigrants and Australians are no so daft that they think people from outside Australia will have an Australian qualification. And plenty of people recruiting won't be Australian either.
Hi,

Thank you for the prompt reply. The issue I'm facing is that I'm afraid that I may not be able to find employment opportunities in Australia due to the fact that I'm a ACCA holder. No doubt, a CPA would be preferred as what I study in ACCA (my country's local law/audit) may not be applicable in Australia, hence the preference tend to lie towards a CPA.

Yeap, I emailed, but I panicked the moment I realised that I may not able to cross over with any exemptions...
Old Sep 10th 2011, 12:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kaeel
The issue I'm facing is that I'm afraid that I may not be able to find employment opportunities in Australia due to the fact that I'm a ACCA holder. No doubt, a CPA would be preferred as what I study in ACCA (my country's local law/audit) may not be applicable in Australia, hence the preference tend to lie towards a CPA.
Yes I know what issue you think you are facing. Did you actually read my reply?

I will say it again, there are loads of ACCA working quite happily as accountants in Australia and I am one of them.

It really is not that hard to switch from one GAAP to another. I have had jobs where I have reported in four different GAAP standards in one day!
Old Sep 10th 2011, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

JOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really nice

Hi,

I'm sorry, I know this question has surfaced many times. I also know the steps that one has to go through to convert ACCA to CPA. However, please take some time to hear me out.

I'm currently an ACCA student in Singapore, I've just managed to clear F1,2,3 and 4. Meaning to say, my level 1 is cleared and I've just embarked on level 2. However, I intend to move over to Australia over the next few years as my parents are residing there. I feel like I've made a grave mistake by taking up ACCA now.

Is it possible to cross over to CPA Australia now? Any exemptions for level 1 ACCA?

Or any other routes that can be taken? I feel really disappointed now, and can't think of any ways. I bumped onto this forum by accident, and found really useful replies. I hope someone can shed some light on this issue as well.

Many thanks in advance
Do you have any work experience?
Old Sep 10th 2011, 5:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JOE2010
Do you have any work experience?
Nope I do not as of yet.

Also, suppose I'm to continue my studies here with ACCA, do I still continue to take the singapore based law paper?
Old Sep 10th 2011, 7:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Nope I do not as of yet.

Also, suppose I'm to continue my studies here with ACCA, do I still continue to take the singapore based law paper?
You need to get work experience. A set of exams, no matter which set they are, will not get you very far. I'd be worrying about that, not what law paper to take. Most accountants will have nothing to do with law or tax.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Sep 10th 2011 at 7:53 pm.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 3:56 am
Just Joined

You need to get work experience. A set of exams, no matter which set they are, will not get you very far. I'd be worrying about that, not what law paper to take. Most accountants will have nothing to do with law or tax.
I'm worried my friend. Really am worried. I'm in Singapore serving my national service. My family are planning to settle in Australia in the coming years. However, I feel like I've made a blunder by doing ACCA while serving the nation. I've currently finished F1- F4. Now when I asked around people, they say that I'd need to be a CPA Australia if I were to have a brighter job prospect in Oz. That is especially so since I do not hold onto any degree, and just A level cert.

The first factor that's affecting my decision now is that I do not have a degree so I was wondering if I should enroll myself into an University in Australia that offers me BCom (maj in accounting), one that's accredited by CPA of course. Then, get a visa and find a job.

Secondly, I could finish my ACCA, then find ways to convert which I can't seem to find in the net. Words of mouth say that all one has to do is complete 4 papers in Australia, and you'll become an Aus CPA. Not sure how far that's true. However, if I do intend to follow that route, it's going to be an awfully long journey as compared to the first route.

Lastly, I could get the OBU Bsc degree while doing ACCA and take up Masters in a Oz Uni (which will be accredited by CPA). Now the biggest worry for this route is that I don't suppose the Bsc Degree is recognized. Even if it was, I don't suppose it's an accounting major degree that be used to take Master of Business (accounting). This is because Master of Business (accounting) requires a degree that's a major in accounting...

By now you've realized that my main concern is that I prefer a CPA Australia to an ACCA because I'm looking at a longer term prospect in Australia. Not to mention, I'm going to having zero experience after I graduate.

@ Bermudashort : I could be wrong, but I believe the reason why the plenty of ACCA qualified accountants are able to find a job is mainly because they've relevant working experience. I don't suppose a fresh ACCA graduate stands a better chance than a CPAA grad?

Hope to hear some of the useful opinions.

Thank you once again everyone.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 4:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I really feel like I am repeating myself here.

There is nothing wrong with being ACCA in Australia. I have already said it twice on this thread not sure why I have to say it a third time for you but I will try it in capitals this time in the hope it might sink in.

THERE ARE PLENTY OF ACCA QUALIFIED ACCOUNTANTS WORKING HAPPILY IN AUSTRALIA.

Your problem is not going to be that you took ACCA not CPA. Your problem is going to be that you have no work experience. Courses won't make up for that. If you want a successful migration you need to get work experience.

If you thought you could sit a few exams and then emmigrate and find work as an accountant then you were dreaming "my friend". But it is not ACCA that is the problem.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

JOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really nice

I'm worried my friend. Really am worried. I'm in Singapore serving my national service. My family are planning to settle in Australia in the coming years. However, I feel like I've made a blunder by doing ACCA while serving the nation. I've currently finished F1- F4. Now when I asked around people, they say that I'd need to be a CPA Australia if I were to have a brighter job prospect in Oz. That is especially so since I do not hold onto any degree, and just A level cert.

The first factor that's affecting my decision now is that I do not have a degree so I was wondering if I should enroll myself into an University in Australia that offers me BCom (maj in accounting), one that's accredited by CPA of course. Then, get a visa and find a job.

Secondly, I could finish my ACCA, then find ways to convert which I can't seem to find in the net. Words of mouth say that all one has to do is complete 4 papers in Australia, and you'll become an Aus CPA. Not sure how far that's true. However, if I do intend to follow that route, it's going to be an awfully long journey as compared to the first route.

Lastly, I could get the OBU Bsc degree while doing ACCA and take up Masters in a Oz Uni (which will be accredited by CPA). Now the biggest worry for this route is that I don't suppose the Bsc Degree is recognized. Even if it was, I don't suppose it's an accounting major degree that be used to take Master of Business (accounting). This is because Master of Business (accounting) requires a degree that's a major in accounting...

By now you've realized that my main concern is that I prefer a CPA Australia to an ACCA because I'm looking at a longer term prospect in Australia. Not to mention, I'm going to having zero experience after I graduate.

@ Bermudashort : I could be wrong, but I believe the reason why the plenty of ACCA qualified accountants are able to find a job is mainly because they've relevant working experience. I don't suppose a fresh ACCA graduate stands a better chance than a CPAA grad?

Hope to hear some of the useful opinions.

Thank you once again everyone.
My two cents;

1. You need to have a degree to enroll for CPA or CA in Australia. That employers would prefer a local qualification is a no brainer - but the CPA is a crapy qualification not 'the must have accounting qualification' as you imply (you would be shocked some employers here prefer a CA/CIMA/ACCA). My manager does not shortlist any CPA's, unless they are very outstanding.

2. How old are you? It may be easier to enroll in a uni here for your Bachelors (you may get credits for your ACCA studies) and look for a job thereafter. You will have a better understanding of the market by the time you graduate. Alternatively just test your market with your ACCA partial qualification and see if you can get a trainee position, but again at that level competition is high especially with recent graduates.

3. How about getting a job in Singapore and relocate later when you have a few years of experience? The choice is yours.

Good Luck.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 1:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JOE2010
My two cents;

1. You need to have a degree to enroll for CPA or CA in Australia. That employers would prefer a local qualification is a no brainer - but the CPA is a crapy qualification not 'the must have accounting qualification' as you imply (you would be shocked some employers here prefer a CA/CIMA/ACCA). My manager does not shortlist any CPA's, unless they are very outstanding.

2. How old are you? It may be easier to enroll in a uni here for your Bachelors (you may get credits for your ACCA studies) and look for a job thereafter. You will have a better understanding of the market by the time you graduate. Alternatively just test your market with your ACCA partial qualification and see if you can get a trainee position, but again at that level competition is high especially with recent graduates.

3. How about getting a job in Singapore and relocate later when you have a few years of experience? The choice is yours.

Good Luck.
Thank you Joe and Bermudashorts, I appreciate the valuable feedback.
I'm only 20, will work towards the goal that you guys have mentioned. I guess it's time to go for a bachelors now...
Old Sep 18th 2011, 11:38 pm
Just Joined

sasa110 is an unknown quantity at this point

kaeel, you said you've finished F1-F4 in ACCA? just get done till F9 and get the Oxford Brookes Bachelors Degree in Accounting and use it to enroll for CPA (you've to sit for all 14 papers).

Work ex is most important, but as far as academics goes, you have a couple of choices:

You can study for the CPA while in Singapore (yes, tests are available there) and also concurrently finish the last 5 ACCA P level papers.

Alternately, finish till ACCA F9, get the OBU degree, then finish the last 5 P level ACCA papers and go straight to last 6 papers of CPA.

Don't worry much at the prospect of having to do 2 accounting quals - just worry about ACCA, and you will notice the rest (read: CPA) will take care of itself.

I'm almost sure that the CPA recognises the OBU bachelors for entry requirements, but do double check this info. Getting done 5 more ACCA papers to gain the bachelors will be far shorter and less expensive than doing a regular 3 year bachelors at a Uni..

Last edited by sasa110; Sep 18th 2011 at 11:51 pm.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Druid is on a distinguished road

Not sure you can take Australian CPA whilst you are in Singapore? But if it is what you want to do then perhaps the best thing to do is email them and ask and ask about whether you have any exemptions. Getting the information you need straight from the horse's mouth might be better than speculation on an internet forum.

Wot : Dont need CPA to work as an accountant, my wife will be over the moon, she is an AAT & ACCA Qualified accountant, CPA want her to do another 6 exams to get CPA membership, she seems to think she wont get a half decent job in Perth if she doesnt get CPA.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 7:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by The Druid
Wot : Dont need CPA to work as an accountant, my wife will be over the moon, she is an AAT & ACCA Qualified accountant, CPA want her to do another 6 exams to get CPA membership, she seems to think she wont get a half decent job in Perth if she doesnt get CPA.
No of course she won't need CPA to work as an accountant, there are loads of overseas qualified accountants in Australia and we don't all go through re-training.

I am assuming she doe snot want to go into practice of course.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

bughio13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: ACCA to CPA Australia

HI every one..........i have few queries and hope u can help me out..........i have completed my 8 papers of acca ( from f1 tof8)....i am currently in PAKISTAN..........and now i am planning to continue my studies in abroad as in PAKISTAN....there is not much value of an acca......can any one guide me that what can i do next????
i was thinking to go UK for completing my remaining 6 papers and hopefully get job there...as my uncle is also in UK .....but as the recent conditions...many people told me that the jobs are difficult to find there.....or can i find job in CANADA, AUSTRALIA after completing 14 papers and having some experience of about 1 year from PAKISTAN
guys please guide me i want to go either UK. AUSTRALIA OR CANADA.......???
can any one guide me please ....
any guidance would be helpful for me...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.