Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Accountants
Reload this Page >

ACCA conversion to Oz equivalent

ACCA conversion to Oz equivalent

Old Mar 3rd 2008, 1:45 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ACCA conversion to Oz equivalent

Originally Posted by clairegary
Hi

Just out of interest which qualifications/Countries do have a mutual recognition agreement with ACCA?
Most states in the European Economic Area + Switzerland do (under EEA regulations), although in many of these countries you can only be a member of the local accounting body if you are a practising auditor. Normally you also have to be a citizen of an EEA state to take advantage of these.

Other than that, the only two that come to mind straight away are Canada (CGA) and Singapore (CPA). ACCA used to have mutual recognition schemes with Hong Kong (CPA) and New Zealand (CA) but these ended in 2002-04.

ACCA does have Joint Examination Schemes with quite a few accounting bodies worldwide (mainly in smaller nations) where students in those country study to join the local accounting body and ACCA simultaneously. But it's not clear whether an ACCA from another country can join such a local accounting body as a matter of course.
Old May 2nd 2008, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

De Mange will become famous soon enoughDe Mange will become famous soon enough

Interesting thread. I am also a UK based ACCA in the process of moving to australia.

When I was last in Australia (on a WHV), every prospective employer admitted in the interview they had never even heard of ACCA. It didnt stop any of them offering me roles though.

Personally speaking, unless I wish to practise in Aus and need the tax/stat accs stuff, there is more chance of BA Baracus getting on an Aeroplane than getting me to sit another exam.
Old May 3rd 2008, 2:20 am
BE Enthusiast

milly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to all

Dont know if this helps any one
My daughter left school at 16 and started work at the local council in business & finance apprentaship, in 3 yrs she was full AAT qualified, and was about to start her ICAEW when she came to OZ.
She was offered 3 jobs within 2 weeks. When she started work for one of the biggest charted accounting companies world wide. She proceeded to go down the ICAA route, to be told she was an undergraduate, and would need to attend uni for 18mths to obtain more exams. This annoyed her no end as she had done the same work already in the uk, she contacted the ICAEW who said she could start the course straight away with them and distance learn, and sit the exam at the ICAA office in OZ, then swap the exam to municipal agrement to the ICAA. When then explained to her place of work , they contacted the ICAA and said how ridiculous this was. They confirmed that she was Full AAT with 4yrs work experience and was already doing more work than any of there australian graduates. She was also in full time permanent employment with them and had her Australian tax/law.
The ICAA excepted her on to there course with no restrictions.
There is ways around things , if you prove your point.
Good Luck to others.