Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Accountants
Reload this Page >

AAT qualification in Australia

AAT qualification in Australia

Old Dec 8th 2013, 6:52 pm
Just Joined

SJayW is an unknown quantity at this point
Default AAT qualification in Australia

Hi Everyone,

This is mt first post, sorry if it's been asked before.

I'm due to start AAT Level 4 in Jan, on finishing the plan is to go to Australia. I've been reading al ot online that it isn't worth much? But CIMA and ACCA are.

I don't really want to put off the move any longer, what would be my best course of action to help me gain entry and employment in Australia?
What will be my chances of employment being AAT qualified? I've been working in Finance for 2 years (will be 3 when I go).
Is there an equivalent of CIMA in Aus that I could study?

Any help/suggestions/advise is appreciated.
Old Dec 9th 2013, 5:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AAT qualification in Australia

There is a big difference between AAT and CIMA or ACCA even in the UK. Namely that the latter two are accountancy qualifications whereas AAT is a technician and not even close to the same level..

When you say you don't want to "put off your move much longer" does that mean you already have a visa or maybe citizenship allowing you to live in Australia? If so, then there are two accountancy qualifications you could work towards, CA or CPA.
Old Dec 9th 2013, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

SJayW is an unknown quantity at this point

I know the AAT is just a stepping stone to CIMA or ACCA, but what I mean is I want to move as soon as possible but don't want the fact that I'm not ACCA qualified to hinder my chances or finding employment. But at the same time don't want to have to stay in the UK another 2-3 years to to finish ACCA.

So I am assuming studying CA or CPA would be the next step in becoming a chartered accountant in Australia?

Also, no I don't have a Visa but plan on applying when I'm closer to finishing AAT and I know I have a chance at finding a job.
Old Dec 9th 2013, 9:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SJayW
I know the AAT is just a stepping stone to CIMA or ACCA, but what I mean is I want to move as soon as possible but don't want the fact that I'm not ACCA qualified to hinder my chances or finding employment. But at the same time don't want to have to stay in the UK another 2-3 years to to finish ACCA.

So I am assuming studying CA or CPA would be the next step in becoming a chartered accountant in Australia?

Also, no I don't have a Visa but plan on applying when I'm closer to finishing AAT and I know I have a chance at finding a job.
Well if you don't have a visa, I don't see how you have any choice but to wait and get qualified first?

Not having ACCA will not necessarily hinder your chances of getting a job, in fact you might get a job as a trainee if you had the right visa, but the trouble is you won't have a visa..

You will not get a visa on the back of your AAT qualifications, you need an accountancy qualification or at the very least accountancy degree. AAT exams do not make you an accountant, they are technician exams.