Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Scroll to top

Top

Moving Abroad

Setting Emigration Goals

July 24, 2008 |

The Importance of Goals – A famous study of Yale University graduates found that back in 1953, just 3% of the graduating class had a written set of goals for their lives. 20 years later a survey of the same group revealed that the ‘goal setting’ students were financially worth more than the other 97% put together. This 3% also enjoyed better relationships, and better health. The factor that linked all these students was that they had set clear goals. Read More

But Mummy! Where am I from?

June 29, 2008 |

My son Jacob is part of an increasing community of nomadic kids who are growing up internationally. Some child psychologists refer to such children as third-culture kids, or TCKs for short. The official definition of a TCK, also known as Trans-Culture Kid, is "an individual who, having spent a significant part of the developmental years in a culture other than the parents' culture, develops a sense of relationship to all of the cultures, while not having full ownership of any. Read More

Moving Abroad as an Accompanying Partner

May 22, 2008 |

If you’re an accompanying partner/spouse who has taken the plunge and moved abroad you’ll be experiencing some feelings and challenges. Having moved myself to Sydney I can fully appreciate the nervousness, frustration and anxiety you might be experiencing and would like to share some ideas to help you settle and start to enjoy your new life abroad more quickly. Read More

A Caribbean Renovation Project on a Budget

May 20, 2008 |

We have moved from London to Antigua to launch a niche publishing business and here is the first chapter in our building project. We are getting there! Albeit slower than scheduled. The progress made has been good, the hold ups so far seem to be down to basic organisation. Despite our best attempts to schedule, finance and set realistic targets we had not accounted that some things are just not within our power.
Read More

Going Home to the UK – but where has home gone?

April 21, 2008 |

We were looking forward to a trip back to our old home ground – SW London – catching up with family and friends and being a tourist. We’d not been back en masse for perhaps 4 years and had been told of “the Changes”. We had been warned “it’s not the way you remember” and do you know what, they were wrong!
Read More

International Healthcare Cover

March 11, 2008 |

If you live or work abroad, buying healthcare cover will be one of your first priorities. But, short of becoming a leading authority on the ins and outs of medical provision in your new country of residence, how do you make the right decisions about insurance for you and your family? Alison Massey takes us through some key points to consider when looking to purchase an international health insurance plan. Read More

Apartment Hunting for Expats

January 29, 2008 |

Apartment hunting for expats can be a real nightmare. Spend five minutes surfing an expat bulletin board and you might think twice about your journey. Idealistic thoughts of finding a cheap accommodations are quickly squashed when you realize that expat flats carry expat prices. In this article Chris Titus shares her tips on how you can avoid the pitfalls of looking for a home to rent. Read More

Prepare for your New Life

January 11, 2008 |

Emigrating can be a long process, with many months of waiting for envelopes to drop through the mail box. Rather than focus on “˜being in limbo’ think about what is good about having this time before you move and research, research, research. The more knowledge you have about where you are moving to, the more prepared you will be. Time is one thing in life we only have a limited amount of, make the most of yours and take action towards your dream life! Read More

British Expats – My place in the cyberworld

December 21, 2007 |

When I first started using the British Expats site I never imagined how addictive it could be, nor did I imagine just how attached I would become to some of the members on it. Three years later I am still on here as much as I was when I made those first steps to enquire about migration and I would now class it as an important part of my social life. Read More

International Assignments in a Changing World

September 4, 2007 |

Until a few years ago, relocations were a relatively simple business. Companies selected their most career-oriented employees, got them to pack a few belongings and move with family to the other side of the globe. Most companies are now changing their relocation policies to adapt to the current economic, social and technological environment and also to ensure the employee receives much needed support during a move. Read More